The Costs of a Struggling Team

March 27th, 2012
Last week, I posted a mind map that shows the benefits of the team effect.  But what about the costs of a team that is not doing well?  A team that isn’t working well doesn’t have a neutral effect. A struggling team costs the people and the organization in engagement, quality, and money.

a struggling team

The Struggling Team Effect

11 Comments

1. Love this! Thanks so much for sharing!

2. Rick says:

Another good one, thx.

3. AgileRenee says:

Apathy is like cancer for a team. It spreads and tears a team down so quickly. Probably more closely linked with disengaged people.

Great post.

4. Kief says:

Was the implication that “management intervention” is one of the negative effects of a team not doing well intentional?

In my experience, it often is, at least the “closer supervision” part. As management jump onto a team that is struggling, they often demand frequent detailed reporting, constant explanations of what is going wrong and what’s being done to correct it, and otherwise micromanaging and obstructing the team from focusing on what’s important.

“Ninety percent of what we call ‘management’ consists of making it difficult for people to get things done.” – Peter Drucker

5. […] Derby sets out in two articles a list of features in a mind map of a well-functioning team and of a struggling team. Well worth reviewing both, and asking yourself where your team has a closer fit. If there’s […]

6. Ben Linders says:

Esther, I like the way that you made it visible how much a company can lose when a team is having problems. More then enough reasons to address problems, and solve them!

• Esther Derby says:

Hi, Ben –

That’s exactly why I did the mind map. People talk about the value of teams, but it’s often left as “intangible.” But it is not intangible. Both the benefits of a well-functioning team and the costs of a poorly functioning team are quantifiable.

7. David Koontz says:

Nice MindMap.

Would you be willing to share a version in Biggerplate.com or XMind.net